Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Three Steps Forward...

You know the rest:  two steps back!

Overall, the move from Kauai to South Lake Tahoe has been pretty smooth,  if a tad messy in places.  I am so ready for Joan's beads to come so I can start to work with them.

I'm at my folks' place in Montana right now, and there's a fresh coat of snow for inspiration.  After looking at the photo of the kit Joan shared in her last post, I took to my sketchbook.



Here are my ideas for how I'll use the kit.  Joan's Wedgwood-style snowflake beads are just so elegant and beautiful, I think I'll frame it with two snowflakes, and use that at the center of a lightweight silver chain, with just a few crystal accents.  The crystals in the kit are 6mm flat flower spacers, and 3mm (tiny!) rounds.

I just this moment opened up Joan's package and have the beads before me in real life, yay!

Now I'm not sure that my first idea for the earrings at top left will work. I had planned on using a tiny crystal as a stopper, but they might be too small. I bet I can improvise and keep that design somehow.  I would try it and show the results, but--guess what--my silver snowflakes were not in my hand luggage as they should have been. Moving. What fun.

Anyway, I really dig that idea so I'll be giving it a try. The second earring there should be a snap (famous last words). I'll make a bunch of tiny star and crystal dangles with 22g ball-end headpins and string them on a short link of silver wire, then hang an icicle from it. I have already chosen the two most lustrous for this pair of earrings.

I'll use the rest of the beads and icicles for the bracelet as shown.  I think I'll string it on a chain, using the icicles as spacers and letting the ice cubes slide freely. More sparkling star and crystal dangles will make it a beautiful match for the icicle earrings!

I see that one of these sets has already gone out; can't wait to see the results!



1 comment:

  1. Wow! You sketch first! What a concept. I am far too lazy for that. I dropped my camera on the floor yesterday so I am using that as an excuse to procrastinate. These kit projects are really good for me since they FORCE me to make jewelry. But on the bead side in my comfort zone the stars led to an awesome new bead shape.

    ReplyDelete