Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Life + Art




Kimmie here:
It is interesting to see how our lives influence the art we make. Sometimes the connection is hard to spot...for example, I have been making beads featuring koi fish for years, even back in my fimo days, but haven't had so much as a goldfish in my life for years! Where does that come from? I think it has to do with the colors and the way a beautiful fish in a pool of water is evocative of peace, elegance, tranquility--totally imaginary for me.



The lentil animals are challenging to design and fun to make in bunches. They are snappy and quick and pack a lot of punch in their tiny package. When the design is right it just hits you all at once and pushes all the right buttons. I think that's why I enjoy making them so much. I've historically been really bad about not wanting to make the same thing twice. The fact that I actually like making these by the dozen has got me pondering their nature here...I guess there's nothing incredibly profound about them, but when you're staring at the flame for hours at a time it's easy to let the mind wander.





The past six months or so have been very active and exciting for me; I've been spending lots of time outdoors, learning fun new sports, and I think all that adrenaline is informing my new work.


It seems like the more I do, the more creative and inventive I feel! There's a long summer of surfing and mountain biking ahead, and when winter comes, more snowboarding. Tons of inspiration under the sun, I hope you will enjoy seeing what comes next!

1 comment: